Misconduct and Immaturity Wreak Havoc on Our School

The increasing misbehavior of students at North Hollywood High School requires all students to come together against these acts.

The return of in-person schooling has brought with it a slew of unforeseen student behavior. More than 20 known fights and others that might not have been reported, fire alarms being pulled more times than one can count, and four fires being started in school are just a few examples. Many are left wondering about the cause of these incidents and what may be done about it.

Violence and vandalism have taken over North Hollywood, prohibiting teachers from successfully carrying out lessons and students from learning crucial material. From setting off fireworks in a trash can to punching police officers to vandalizing stairwells with vulgar graffiti, our school has a long way to go in ensuring a safe environment for students and staff.

These incidents have created an unusual tension on campus as upperclassmen and school staff struggle to understand why the younger students have decided to disrespect teachers, students, and school property. The school deans report that 90% of all misdemeanors have been caused by freshmen and sophomores this year. It is worth noting that many of these incidents have also been reported by seniors. 

Though, many freshmen have also made their opinions on this misbehavior clear. Nataly Rodriguez, a freshman, explained that she feels, “very unsafe with all these fires and recent incidents,” and that students should “be more careful and think before they do certain things and put other students and teachers at risk.”

Mr. Chavez looks down on an extinguished boy’s bathroom trash can fire outside the Frasher building on October 15, 2021.

Most students condemn these acts, such as junior Camila Arandi who feels that those responsible “are bored, haven’t been on campus for a very long time, and are trying to find ways to entertain themselves while jeopardizing other students’ safety and education.”

Ms. Valle, a dean from school shares her opinions on how this behavior is due to a middle school mentality: “In fact, these current underclassmen have not been to school in two years so they do not know how to act. I do believe these incidents are caused by the pandemic and from them letting it all out now that they have the chance.” 

She knows the students well and has worked with many to prevent these; she mentions it is a work in progress and the best that can be done is to be patient with them and offer help. 

“Personally, I have had certain encounters with students that have not been great,” Ms. Rojas, a social studies teacher, explains, “when trying to give them advice on how to fix their behavior, I begin to be treated in an awful manner. Being a punching bag for students is not fun, but it is all part of being a teacher and I am here to help anyone in need.” 

Angela Shvarstman, a senior, presents her personal experience and observations she has noticed as an upperclassman at North Hollywood. “There are fight videos, people starting fires in trash cans leading to the bathrooms being closed, students lighting fireworks during breaks, which ultimately lead up to a not as enjoyable high school experience, especially after lacking one the past year and a half,” she mentions. 

Although the new campus aids have been of great help in order to prevent and diminish as many incidents as possible, it is still important to point out the ratio to these to the amount of new students is not much. Ms. Valle says, “The number of students has increased and there is even less space for students to hang out. While walking around the campus I notice everyone is more rowdy and there are more chances of disagreement which leads to further issues.”

Another senior, Ivan Meza, has noticed a pattern of the behaviors making him feel unmotivated throughout being in school. “The fact that the fire alarms are pulled almost during every period is discouraging since the students who do this do not realize the hard work students and teachers go through in order to have a full class period of learning,” he states. “Although these are not as irritating as before because they have decreased, there are still times that I feel disrupted and annoyed,” he continues.

“The fire alarms definitely disturb class time, especially after everyone knows they are mostly a prank. This is not the end of it, as it is dangerous for everyone to have this mindset in the cases in which these alarms are actually real,” Ms. Conde, a math teacher, argues.

This skyrocketing trend leaves a lingering question on everyone’s mind: what can be done about it?

Many measures have already been imposed upon students as forms of consequences for wrongdoings, such as denying bathroom access at the first ten and last ten minutes of class. Passes have become mandatory for students leaving the classroom at any point during the day. “At this point everyone knows to have a pass ready if we want to ask for permission to go anywhere,” says Nichole Chun, a senior. 

Teachers and staff have begun offering help to the students in need. Ms.Valle mentioned having sessions with the school psychologists and counselors in order to alleviate whatever is necessary to fix their conduct.

The only thing that will beat the misbehavior and malpractices of these students is positivity and team effort. A plan to not punish these students in an authoritarian manner but instead be more understanding of them should be encouraged to avoid further transgressions.

North Hollywood students of every grade must realize that this is a campus that all students share as a place of education and community. As such, students must possess the mindset that our school should be an environment that promotes safety and positivity for all Huskies.